Knox is now into his 10th month of life, and his growth within this year has been both satisfying and awe-inspiring (as in, wow, did we teach him that?). Most of the time we didn’t. Here is a laundry list list of awe-inspiring and simply silly stuff that was observed of him these past months (be warned, to the unconcerned eye, it may seem mundane indeed!):
Observed by daycare teacher:
Drinks water from a cup very well, and with gusto (did not realize this is semi-exceptional among 7month olds)
Loves visiting with the toddler class.
Would stop in the middle of doing something and suddenly cry the first month he was there, as if he missed us. Was adjusted the 2nd month and did not cry at dropoffs, nor seem so desperate for us at pickups.
Insists on feeding himself with utensil last week.
Walked 4 steps hands free this week.
Observed by Grace:
While slothful mommy was sleeping and alert Knox was put in his crib, stood at the rail saying in a sob voice “Hallo! I wuv you! 愛你！babababa papapa (b/c apparently mommy is hopeless)” He never spoke so many words at once! Apparently desperation is the mother of invention! I rolled over and hugged him encouragingly, saying “awwwww… I love you too!”
and then I realized I was still comfortably prone in bed, and he was still unhappily standing in his crib.
hey, at least in my mini-dream I had good intentions!
Holds cellphone toy like a grownup with an iphone, pressing with opposable thumbs. (hmmm… wonder where he saw that?)
3) Always goes for stuff on my side of the bedside table when he wakes up, then when put on the floor, opens the drawers. Peers inside, selects stuff to drag away crawling.
5) Loves playing with my retractable mrt card holder. Will take out card and hide.
6) is highly amused (since birth) by my “eating” his fingers and toes. Or when I clap his feet, or touch his feet to his face.
Has a sweet appreciative “for me?” expression when we put things on his head (hat, headband, sorting bowl, paper boat…etc.), that is, before he started pulling stuff off his head a month ago. Which brings me to:
9) was most displeased the one time we put him on the potty seat. Though does not diminish his enjoyment of reaching into toilet bowl. Thankfully Knox’s arms are still too short.
10) Crawls over to hug me when I’m upset, not demanding for a nipple.
another time, standing on top of walking bridge and smiled major when he looked up and saw daddy through the window.
Started spontaneously waving at people gently, open-palmed, without expression (sort of like the pope). Does not do this when prompted.
Started clapping to music with great excitment, but vertically, like he is vigorously dusting off his hands. After some instruction from Mike can now clap with at least one palm open.
Opened a board book upside down and turned it right side up to flip through [note: we have not been reading to him as much as we intended to, we do it like twice a week, so amazed that he knows the proper direction of the pics.]
6) (My personal favorite) While he had a cold and sneezed, he would purse his lower lip to eat the runny-elixir coming down his nose. [ I had observed that when we didn’t clean him up pronto after a sneeze, he would rub it all over his face with his fists]
8) Does pull ups on mrt, standing in Mikes’s pockets.
9) All the times he leaked pee from diaper, leaked on Mike. 2 times it was wearing cloth (I’ve got to tweak those diapers!), and one time from disposable… but that was because his little boy part was sticking out.
It does our heart so good to observe this sweet life joining the human race.
to Love and responsibilities!